On Monday night, the Trump administration announced that President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski had pleaded guilty to one count of assault, obstruction of justice, and witness tampering.
The charge stems from a July 3 incident at the GOP convention in Cleveland, when Lewandowski grabbed the throat of Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who was holding up a microphone.
The New York Times reports that Manafort “came forward with allegations that he had been grabbed, grabbed repeatedly, choked, and had his throat cut.”
Manafort also claims that he was assaulted by Lewandowski, but no one has yet charged Lewandowski.
The Times also reported that the former campaign chief of staff was charged in a separate incident in February.
In that case, Lewandowski reportedly pushed a reporter who was interviewing him to the ground.
The reporter, who is a Fox News contributor, was later suspended for her coverage of the incident.
Lewandowski was later placed on administrative leave from his job at the Trump campaign, after he was accused of hitting a protester who was protesting outside the Trump International Hotel and Tower in New York.
The Trump administration has also charged former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, who also worked for the Trump presidential campaign, with one count each of assault and battery and witness intimidation, for his role in the Trump Tower altercation.
The charges stem from a June 15 incident at Trump Tower in Manhattan.
Trump fired Bannon from his position as senior adviser, but he has remained on the campaign payroll.
As the New York Post reported on Sunday, the charges are the result of an investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller, who has been looking into possible coordination between the Trump team and Russian operatives during the 2016 election.
“The investigation is a clear and present danger to our republic,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement on Monday night.
“It is imperative that we take action and move forward, as we must, to protect our nation.”
Meanwhile, the Republican National Committee has issued a statement defending its “robust and ongoing” process of vetting and vetting Trump supporters.
“We have a rigorous vetting process for candidates and party members who want to run for public office.
This process includes an extensive vetting process of qualified candidates and qualified voters who may be eligible to run,” RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in the statement.
“As a party, we will continue to vet every single one of our candidates.
We will do so in an orderly, transparent and honest manner.
And as always, we take the integrity of our elections very seriously.”